Sunday, March 8, 2009

GaGa For GaGa

So I realize that her over-the-top leotards, platinum wig-hair (with the heavy bangs), and her tendency to wear big/dark sunglasses indoors at all times, may come off as a pair of shoulder pads short of gimmicky. However, some would argue that her style is fashion forward, innovative, and even retrofuturistic (I mean she’s bring shoulder pads back! And if anyone would come close to pulling off that look, it would be this bitch).

Regardless, I have to confess that I find her music infectiously catchy. I swear, after to listening to one of her songs, it becomes quite the challenge to remove her disco-pop-dancehall-with-a-modern-twist tunes out of my head. Mind you, this doesn’t come in handy when you’re trying to study for your biology midterm the next day, and all that’s dancing through your head is “Pa-pa-pa-poker face, Pa-pa-pa-poker face, mah mah mah mah.” Lessoned learned: No GaGa before an exam.

Anyhow, I just thought I’d give her some recognition as I think her sound is so fresh for the moment and she is a unique contender in today’s pop culture. In my opinion, she really sets a new bar for pop music. GO GAGA!

It’s also interesting to note that she was a musical prodigy at the age of 4 when she learned to play the piano by ear, and soon attended Convent of Sacred Heart (A Manhattan private school - with the infamous Hilton sisters). She later accepted an early admission into Tisch School of the Arts at NYU. So this girl isn’t all about “The Fame” she’s got actual talent.

Must Listen:
1) Starstruck -Lady GaGa
2) Beautiful Dirty Rich - Lady Gaga

Lastly, if you haven't already heard (this is her lastest single):
3) Love Game - Lady Gaga