Monday, December 20, 2010

The clouds above opened up and let it out

I don't know what it is about the winter months, but I always find myself drenched in Death Cab. For the past two weeks, almost every single night I've fallen asleep to the sweet (arguably depressing) melodies of this amazing band and the sensitive heart-broken voice of Ben Gibbard. Whoever broke his heart is a bitch, but thanks to her came the soundtracks to many of our lives (p.s. - I heard he's engaged to Zooey Dechanel now). I mean it's everything about these songs, not just the melodies that are so haunting and replay themselves in my mind when I least expect them to, but the lyrics seem to capture the words that I so often feel but could never find for my life. I love this band so much. How I wish they would play in Calgary...I mean they did mention "Calgary" in the song "I Will Follow You Into The Dark," so it's not like they don't know that we exist!

Lately, I've been listening to Transatlanticism non-stop. Regardless of the fact that this song nears 8 minutes, I can't seem to change the song. I'm obsessed with the hint of train-track sounds in the background, it goes so beautifully with the song. It sounds lame, but sometimes I get shivers when these words are sung:

"I need you so much closer.
I need you so much closer.
I need you so much closer.
I need you so much closer.
I need you so much closer.
I need you so much closer.
I need you so much closer.
I need you so much closer."

You don't need to have an ocean between two people for them to be distant from one another. It's sad really, but I can completely relate to this song.

On a happier note, I caught up with an old friend yesterday and we had ourselves a nice dinner but there was definitely more talking than there was eating. We ended up staying for 3 hours even though we "finished" our meals about an hour in. I ended up having to pack up basically half if not more of my meal home since I was too preoccupied with our conversation. I don't know what it is about her, but ever since I met her I've always found that she was so easy to talk to, and to open up with. We've been through a lot together, and we've literally grown up together. This is the same person that I used to play Tag with everyday at recess, go bike riding with after school and throughout the summer, ring door-to-door with offering our leaf-raking services for change, and go sledding with in the winter. Actually, we went sledding last winter for old time's sake, and being in-coincidentally sentimental, we both ended up bringing our old sleds from when we were kids to use. And surprise, of course we (I) didn't fit in them! So trying to sled down a hill with a sled that's obviously too small for you resulted in multiple wipe-outs that were not so fun as they were painful and bruise-inducing. I don't think we'll be sledding again this year haha. But being able to catch up with her last night was more than satisfying. Even though I don't see her as often as I would like, I can always expect a call from her on new years eve (day) a few minutes after midnight and a call on my birthday no matter where she is. It's these little things that mean so much to me, more than I could ever even begin to tell her. Whether it be childhood best friend, current best friend, or future best friend, she'll always be the best friend. Since 3rd grade and counting!
Love you lots, Feryaal.


Don't we look dashing?