Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Bests of the Decade Part 1

Best Fashion Trends of the Decade:

1) Two words: Skinny. Jeans.
Whether it be skin tight silhouettes for women to slim straight cuts for men, denim has never looked better or more flattering...unless you're not skinny, then this trend probably didn't apply to you at all. Shame.
2) Tailored pieces worn casually.
Nothing dresses up a casual tee like layering it with a nice tailored vest, turning the regular into refined. And don't forget blazers! No longer are blazers expected to be paired with the cliche dress pants or I guess pencil skirts(?) for women, but instead are worn with Trend #1 (see above) among other things. Also a formal event or business meeting needs not to be on the agenda in order for you to rock a blazer. Wear it proud.
3) It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood.
Return of the CARDIGANS!!! Yay. I've always liked cardigans, but until recently they've held the stigma of being associated to the often style-challenged grandpas of the world and Mr. Rogers. But I disagree. I LOVE the old fashioned look. I mean, what better time to dress older than your age than when you're young and hip? When you're old, it doesn't matter what age you dress, your wrinkles and greying/thinning hair (if you still have any) will show otherwise. Plus, this is an example of fashion meets function (believe it!). Cardigans are warm and can be worn buttoned up or unbuttoned. Oh the variety!


Worst Fashion Trends of the Decade:

1) UGly Boots. You know what's coming.
Uggs. Even saying the word makes me cringe. Not only is it a word that looks like "ugly," but the word sounds ugly and the product is Fugly. Okay, okay. I'll admit that even I at one point was naive enough to believe that ugly could be the new trendy (I mean it was on Oprah's Favourite Things...so my judgement was impaired by hers!). Now that I've come to my senses, I honestly don't think footwear could get any more unpleasant than this, except for maybe Crocs, which even the thought of them makes me want to vomit. But seriously?! Uggs? I know they must be super comf and warm and whatever, but get over it. Girls, do yourselves a favour and throw those fashion offenses away! They make you look like you're wearing the shoes of an animal costume belonging to the mascot of a peewee sports team or of an amusement park. The guy that dresses up as the mouse mascot at Chuck E. Cheese's, want his shoes back. Thanks.
2) Bohemian Rhapsody. I think Not.
I mean what the fuck was that? Oversized shapeless peasant skirts, head scarves, and drowning yourself in layers upon layers of cheap ooking bead necklaces/braceletes?? Okay just becasue Nicole Richie and the Olsens kinda pulled it off, doesn't mean you can even come anywhere close to making it work. It's called a mirror. Please, please use it before you leave the house.
3) Ed Hardy. Enough said.


Sorry if anyone was offended by this post. I am aware that we have all committed crimes against fashion at one point or another in our lives. But on the brights, it's a new year, new slate, and new trends...so choose them wisely.