Saturday, April 10, 2010

My Friends Are The Best

Last night was meant to be a typical "movie night" at a friend's place. The plan was to watch Toy Story and Toy Story 2 to prep ourselves and refresh our memories for the summer release of Toy Story 3! Keep in mind, most of us are 19 and some of us, are freshly turned TWENTY. Yup, still kids at heart and clearly in our movie tastes as well. But anyhow, we were watching the first movie and I got up to talk to a friend on the other side of the room (little did I know she was in on all this). Call me clueless, but it didn't even struck me odd that this friend showed up to our movie night half way past the movie, and it was already 1130 at night. Man, I'm dense sometimes. But we talked for a bit, and then the next thing I know, from my peripheral vision, I noticed a cluster of tiny flames which was immediately followed by a uniform singing of "Happy Birthday to you..." And that's when I'm sure my eyes lighted up - that or it was just the reflection from me staring in awe of the lit birthday cake making its way across to me. Along with the partially melted frosting of the ICE CREAM CAKE, yes believe it, my heart melted as well. Yes that's corny, but unshamefully true! I've never felt so special or appreciated :)

Not to mention I think I really needed this too (and I mean this in the most humble, unself-absorbed sort of way). This week was a ROUGH. The long weekend prior was a major bitch with nauseating assignments and lab finals to complete and prepare for, my stupid-piece-of-crap laptop broke down, my parents got into an argument over god knows what, I got sick for the hundredth time in the past six months, and not doing what I want to be doing was really getting to me - especially with the big 2-0 approaching. So yeah, this surprise birthday get-together really helped me put the important things back into perspective, and made the current chaos around me seem manageable.
And with that, I say thanks from the bottom of my heart to all those that were in on this surprise, and for everyone that took time out of their busy schedules to show up and celebrate with me. You have no idea how much this meant to me. This is definitely a birthday for the books. You guys made turning twenty seem not as devastating or traumatic as I thought it would be (haha, typical me). Thanks for holding my hand while I left my teen years behind, and ventured into adulthood. Love you guys!
LT JN LN KT JT RN
So I conclude, my friends are undeniably, uncomparably, and quite simply, the best <3